February 12, 2008

Potomac Primaries (aka "Gee, my vote counts this time!)

I voted! And for the first time in my career of DC voting, it counted. It feels like Christmas. No really, it does.

I'm sure you all probably know I'm team Hillary, but that doesn't mean I'm not team Obama - should he win. That's what's so exciting... I think both of them would be kick-ass, so it's pretty exciting (no matter who much certain people in certain places want to make feel like that's untrue).

I know Obama is expected to carry MD, DC, and VA so I'm not expecting any great upset. I think I'm being very realistic about it all. I just like that my vote matters. Slightly.

Below are some updates, courtesy of Hotline's Wake-Up call. I hope to keep updating throughout the day, since stormy weather and record-breaking turnouts, among other turnout-related maladies, are predicted.
Today's weather report: A "light wintry mix" is expected this afternoon in DC, with a high of 39; cloudy skies with a few showers and a high of 48 in Richmond, VA; and "steady rain or freezing rain developing later this afternoon" in Baltimore, MD (Weather.com).

Election officials in VA, MD, and DC "expect a large, perhaps record-breaking, turnout in today's primaries" (Washington Post). And black voters, who make up nearly 20% of VA voters, have previously turned out in "disproportionately greater numbers" than other groups (New York Times).

Contrary to popular belief, HRC edges out Obama for best musical performance by a politician -- Play Of The Day!

No comments: