August 8, 2007

What a Croc!



Vile, ugly shoe.
Loathsome rubber turn-off.
Smelly, juvenile orthopedic disaster.

I do NOT like it when people wear crocs. Unless you are 12 years old or younger. Otherwise, act your age. But even so, even though I don't particularly enjoy the way they look, I'll just accept it because I had some questionable shoe choices in my childhood (cough cough strawberry shortcake velcro shoes cough cough).

So imagine my delight when WaPo did an article whose headline read, "Soft Soles Fall Fashion Victim to Escalators." Okay, okay... isn't there something better to write about - you may ask? Probably. But the damage is serious:

Crocs, flip-flops, sandals and other soft-soled shoes that get caught in the hard teeth of escalators are causing an increasing number of problems at Metro this summer. Twenty-five objects were stuck in escalators last month, most of them "shoe entrapments," officials said. On a particularly bad day this month, a shoe was stuck at a Huntington Station escalator at 11 a.m., one was wedged at Metro Center in the afternoon and another was ensnared at Farragut West at 6:30 p.m.
True fact.

And then the DCist chimed in with their hatred and concern for the citizens of our great district... and I felt vindicated. I mean, that's the rule: when two independent news sources validate your opinion, it becomes fact. True story.

PS. If you search for "crocs" in google images, you may come across this:
This, however, is not what I meant by croc - just so we're clear.

Update: Even my favorite blog is in on my hateration. Thanks Heather.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I assume you saw this:

http://www.dooce.com/archives/daily_chuck/08_07_2007.html

When are you and KP comin for a veggie cook out?

David said...

I like them.